Putting items is system tray

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 18:48:24 CEST 2008

On Thu, Oct 2, 2008 at 11:47 AM, Dave Wood <dave at unrealize.co.uk> wrote:
> I have added a sys tray to my bottom panel (I don't use the top one
> anymore). Some programs like pidgin, korn etc put an icon in the sys tray
> as expected, but two things prefer to put their icons next to the clock
> instead - clipper and battery monitor plugins.

The systray is just a notification area for running programs to drop
alerts and the like to. The panel plugins aren't background programs
necessarily, they're part of (plug in to) the panel, which is why
their icons don't go into the systray itself.

As far as keeping the panel clean, I just turn off the systray frame,
and put my plugins directly beside it.

> I am wondering if this is something to do with the order that installed
> these plugins, or if they are designed not to go in sys tray.
>
> Could someone enlighten me which is the case and whether its possible to
> force those programs into the sys tray?
>
> Just like things to be neater ;)
>
> Cheers
>
> --
> In the long run, every program becomes rococo, and then rubble.
>                -- Alan Perlis

Erik
"It's true, Alice Cooper is a hippie, but he's the bad kind of hippie.
He's the kind of hippie that breaks into people's offices, beats them
up, and shoots them in the head. Why? To steal their antique chairs."