single click for desktop

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Tue Nov 25 13:42:15 CET 2008

Christian Dywan wrote:
> Am Mon, 24 Nov 2008 12:04:25 +0100
> schrieb Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi at gmx.de>:
>
>> Hi, I know that this must be a FAQ and it has been answered before,
>> indicating that it is not _yet_ supported.
>>
>> Recently, I installed Xubuntu 8.10 for a friend and you will most
>> probably  guess, what question came up right after "this is
>> great!" ;-)))
>>
>> So is this "feature" anywhere in sight?
>>
>> Personally this doubleclick mania drives me crazy and, it reminds me
>> of Windows. However in Windows, I can disable it....
>
> Hey Eberhard,
>
> it's funny how easy it is to associate something that one personally
> finds annoying with their favourite hated operating system.
Yes, it's especially easy, when you are coming from what you call
"favourite hated operating systems" and then you find a better world but
it unfortunately lacks a sudden feature. I fully agree, although I
cannot say that I hat windows. Actually I get more of my bread from
Windows than from Linux.

Maybe I
> should pretend to hate all existing desktop environments for the sole
> fact that they ship a "desktop" with "icons" which I never found
> useful for my purposes in any way.

Great!

But I know how to work with an iconless desktop or with no desktop at
all, but this is not my question.

> And still, some people love desktops, and many of them love that they
> can use it like a folder window, with double clicking.

No doubt about this. Still, imho this "singleclick" feature is not so
uncommon in the world of desktops, even in the world of Unix-like desktops.

> On a more serious note,
> please use http://bugzilla.xfce.org/ to search for existing bug reports
> and file a feature request if not yet done.

I am sorry, unlike desktops, Bugzilla is not an interface made for me.
I find it cumbersome and tedious to work with.

Thanks much
Eberhard