keyboard layout help - language support (and some expression of delight by a new user)

Sergey Manucharian sergeym at rmico.com
Thu Nov 6 16:15:55 CET 2008

On Thu, 6 Nov 2008 11:15:47 +0100
soko.tica <soko.tica at gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the way to enable more (international) language keyboards in
> xfce4? I have listed only two keyboard layouts in properties of
> keyboard layout switcher, apparently two English keyboards I selected
> during the installation of OS.

The keyboard layout switcher does not provide any layout, it switches
between layouts set in the /etc/X11/xorg.conf. E.g. mine contains the
following lines:
    Option "XkbLayout"  "us,ru,am"
    Option "XkbVariant"  ",phonetic,phonetic"
to provide US English, Russian phonetic and Armenian phonetic keyboard
layouts.

Cheers,
Sergey