Kiosk mode

David Mohr damailings at mcbf.net
Wed May 28 15:31:39 CEST 2008

Hi Alexandre,

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 7:28 AM, Alexandre Conrad <aconrad.tlv at magic.fr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just got the Fedora 9 which now includes XFCE. I'd like to setup
> the box to boot in kiosk mode, i.e. automaticly boot without a login
> prompt and have a few applications starting automaticly.
>
> I'm new to linux's graphical environement in general, and I don't know
> yet how all the X stuff fits together. Tell me if I'm wrong, but I
> understand that the login prompt is not part of XFCE, but from some
> other manager (from which you choose the environement you want to start,
> e.g., gnome, kde, xfce, ...).
>
> So before blindly tweaking the system, I thought I'd might first ask for
> some pointers and howtos.

You are right, the login manager is not part of xfce. You should check
whether you use gdm, kdm or xdm and into their capabilities for an
automatic login. Also you should search the mailing list archive, this
question has come up and there have been good suggestions regarding
not even using a graphical login manager.

~David