System tray and KDE apps?

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Sun May 4 02:58:40 CEST 2008

On Sun, 4 May 2008 00:28:45 +0200 Bjørn T Johansen wrote:

> I seem to have "solved" the problem... I forgot to mention that I am
> running dual screen and I just tried something... I tried to run
> kopete on the other screen and whoola; the kopete icon was inside the
> system tray...
>
> So my new question is, does this mean that the kde apps only work
> with my system tray on the other screen or is there a workaround?
> (Gnome apps works as they should...)

Ahhh, that makes a bit of sense.  The systray is a "per screen"
entity.  If you use "old style" multihead, your X display is considered
to have multiple screens, and so if you want to do it this way, you'd
have to have a systray on each screen.  If you use Xinerama or XRandR
1.2 ("new style" multihead), then your physical screens are considered
just multiple monitors of a single X screen, and you don't have to
worry about these things. (Yes, this is ridiculously confusing and
retarded.)

	-brian