Xfce pretty slow?

Robby Workman xfce at rlworkman.net
Sun Mar 23 15:39:28 CET 2008

Michael Schmarck wrote:
> Hello!
>
> On Sun, Mar 23, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Stephan Arts <stephan at xfce.org> wrote:
>
>>  When using Terminal in combination with composite, then indeed it can be slow.
>
> I'm not using composite - or is that a default of Xfce? And it's also not
> about Terminal. Eg. it also *seems* to be quite slow when I switch
> tabs in Firefox.
>
>>  Another possibility is to disable composite.
>
> I did not enable it, so I doubt that it is enabled. How do I check?

We've run across this as well in numerous setups; it seems that the
nice autodetection features in newer xorg enable composite by default
if your card supports it and direct rendering.  I found the easiest
workaround to explicitly disable it in my xorg.conf, but the setting
to the environment will also work.

>>  The true cause of this issue seems to be the nvidia drivers.
>
> I don't have an nvidia card. I've got a UniChrome card. Using either
> the openchrome drivers or the via drviers.

It's definitely not nvidia-specific.  I've seen it on an ati card with
the default xorg radeon driver, and several of our users have as well.

-RW