Launching Firefox3 does not work

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 11:55:41 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Stephan Windmüller
<stephan.windmueller at cs.uni-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> After extracting the archive of Firefox 3 which was released yesterday,
> I can only start it via the command line.
>
> The archive was extracted in $HOME/install/firefox. When I start firefox
> in a terminal, all works. But when I use a launcher which executes
> /home/my_user_name/install/firefox/firefox, I am stuck with three hanging
> processes: firefox, firefox-bin and run-mozilla.sh.
>
> This also happens when I call an URL from xfterm4. The preinstalled
> Firefox2 does not have this problems.
>
> System is Ubuntu 7.10. Does anyone know what the difference between
> starting from a terminal and a lauchner is?
>
> TIA
>  Stephan

Environment variables, and among those, the current working directory.
My naïve guess would be that firefox 3 finds its files in the former
case, but in the latter case it finds the firefox 2 data files. And
doesn't like those.
But you should really ask the mozilla people about this.

// Alexander