session saving and autostart app

Grant McWilliams grantmasterflash at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 08:21:21 CEST 2008

David,
   I have 60 machines in the field and the problem is consistent. There is
usually a second Pidgin started but on occasion a third. They're all running
CentOS5.1 and XFCE 4.4. I had to write a routine in the configuration script
for the boxes that deletes the cache in .cache and turns off saving cache on
exit. This was the only solution that worked all the time. I have a personal
machine with Ubuntu and  XFCE 4.4 and don't have the problem but then again
I reboot it once every year or so! The machines in the field get rebooted
several times daily depending on how much they get moved.

Once I solved the problem I didn't look into it further but what it seemed
like was happening was when the session closed it would record a pidgin
instance but pidgin was being autostarted so it would get started in both
places. If the user didn't kill one of them and just logged out then the
next time he'd have three instances running. The usual advice I get from
XFCEers is to log in and run the apps that I want and then log out and save
the session. That's a bit messy on 60 computers (soon to be 100). Everything
has to be scripted and just getting rid of the session control worked.

Grant

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:04 AM, David Mohr <damailings at mcbf.net> wrote:

> session
> >> >

> >> Hmm. Not sure that's actually possible. Might be.
> >>
> > You could possibly make a script that deletes the entry in .cache for
> that
> > particular application and then set it up to autostart before the google
> > application.  I guess you can set autostart order. If not you could put
> it
> > in one of your X startup scripts.
> >
> > I've had to much with the session settings in .cache because Pidgin likes
> > start multiple copies if the cache isn't wiped out. I turned off "Save
> > session" and "Prompt on Logout" and deleted all files in .cache in order
> > get Pidgin to stop starting multiple copies. It seems that the session
> > system in XFCE could be rethought. I just turn it off anymore.
>
> I'm using pidgin with xfce, and see none of these problems. My session
> gets always saved, and that's the way I have pidgin started. I have
> never seen multiple copies of pidgin get started that way. Maybe there
> is another reason why you ended up with multiple entries for pidgin in
> your session?
>
> ~David

Some people, when confronted with a problem, think "I know, I'll use
Windows."
Now they have two problems.