Seamonkey start problems from menu

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Jan 25 23:37:54 CET 2008

John Coppens wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jan 2008 21:52:05 +0100 "Alexander Toresson"
> <alexander.toresson at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd suggest checking ~/.xsession-errors; it contains the stdout of
>> programs run within your X session.
>
> No .xsession-errors exists (even checked while seamonkey was
> supposedly running).

Yeah, you usually only get a .xsession-errors if you run Xfce from a
display manager (and then it probably depends on which one).  You really
just want console output from the (real) console that Xfce is started on.

Or, I guess in this case, you could kill xfdesktop, and start it from a
terminal window.  Apps started from the desktop right-click menu should
then get that terminal as stdout/stderr.  If you're using the menu
plugin in the panel, you'd kill xfce4-panel and start that from a
terminal instead.

> More correctly seamonkey _is_ running, but not showing anything. As
> if it's showing on a non-existing desktop...

Hmm, that's an interesting theory, though I'm pretty sure xfwm4 will
force apps to an existing workspace if they request an invalid workspace
number.

	-brian