Activating plugin with keyboard shortcut

Enrico Tröger enrico.troeger at uvena.de
Mon Jan 7 13:10:41 CET 2008

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 15:14:14 -0500, "Henk Boom" <lunarc.lists at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 25/12/2007, mmassonnet at gmail.com <mmassonnet at gmail.com> wrote:
> > IMHO, I'm not sure that a selection thing should end in libpanel.
> > There are tons of ways to do this.  First idea that seems nice is a
> > general popup command (e.g. `xfce4-panel-popup plugin-name ...`),
> > with a "popup" signal to attach to inside the panel plugin
> > interface.
> >
> > static gboolean        popup_callback        (XfcePanelPlugin
> > *panel_plugin, gchar ***argv,
> >                                               gpointer user_data);
> >
> > That's what I can think of now… but there is maybe a 4.6 way.
>
> Perhaps it would be a good idea to add support for these commands to
> xfwm as well. If I understand correctly, this might eliminate the ~1
> second delay you get when using keyboard shortcuts to run the command.
How did you setup your keyboard command which causes such a delay? I
used the "Keyboard Settings" dialog from Xfce's settings manager and
configured my Print key to execute xfce4-popup-dict.
There is absolutely no recognisable delay when pressing the key, the
dict main window is popping up immediately.

Regards,
Enrico