I want to use XFCE

Kok, Auke sofar at foo-projects.org
Fri Feb 8 20:51:44 CET 2008

josh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You said that I may have to install some gnome libraries? Would you be able
> to find which libraries need to be included and include them for the next
> major (or minor) release of XFCE? My ultimate plan hopefuly is to try and
> help out blind people in my state, and XFCE running with at-spi and Orca
> would be nice because I could eventually once I get my life together and
> such help out other blind people who may not have computers by giving them
> cheap computers running xubuntu ...also maybe for the next release of
> xubuntu which uses the XFCE desktop you could include those gnome libraries
> so that way XFCE could finally be accessible for blind people. Also is there
> any equivalent to direct-x in linux XFCE? I'm asking because audio games
> would be nice to have on XFCE, gnome, or both. There are currently no audio
> games for linux. Well, except for soundRTS written in Python.
> I unfortunately am not a programmer yet, and not sure if I have what it
> takes to ever become one. I'll explain how an audio game works. With most
> audio games there is just a plain dialog box, because not sure about linux
> but in windows you need some indicator the program is running. Ok so the
> game has no graphics or pictures whatsoever in it. Let's take Dark Destroyer
> for example, a free space invaders game for blind people. no...better yet,
> enemy attack since it's free and open source. Ok so no pictures whatsoever
> on screen. Now when the main menu loads up when you up and down arrow you
> hear, start new game, check speakers. this is because when you arrow down to
> check speakers most audio games are in stereo. so this plays a sound that
> moves from the far left channel to the far right channel so you can tell if
> you speakers or headphones are set up in the right positions. So when you
> play the game, the game is based on matching where you hear the sounds at in
> the stereo field or in some cases, even the surround sound field. But most
> people don't have surround sound so all the games have stereo options also.
> So lets say there's an enemy plain sound in the right speaker I hit or hold
> in left and right arrows, moving the sound back and forth until it's
> centered. Then I hit the spacebar to fire whatever weapon i choose. then if
> I have the enemy sound centered the enemy is killed. in edition the sound
> lowers in pitch and starts out quiet and gets louder gradually as the enemy
> character gets closer. Shades of doom by gma games www.gmagames.com is
> another example of an audio game. If I could run most of my favorite
> programs in Linux I'd certainly switch to it. ESpeak for orca supports lots
> of languages so that's not a problem but I would really miss not being able
> to play jim's nfl football and other games like that.

try using your "ENTER" key a few times after you use the "." key, it will
seriously increase the chance that people actually will read your e-mails!

On top of that, you might even get a reply!

now, on to the stuff you're discussing:

xubuntu folks can tell you what packages they can add to make you happy, please
contact them directly.

linux does not do direct-X, but opengl instead. if you need direct-X, you can only
use it through WINE and it sucks, you don't want it anyway.

it almost sounds like you should focus on finding a linux group with an interest
in blind people, and I do not know of any myself. I doubt anyone in the Xfce
community can help you with that.

Auke