I want to use XFCE

josh jkenn337 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 20:28:08 CET 2008

Hi,

You said that I may have to install some gnome libraries? Would you be able
to find which libraries need to be included and include them for the next
major (or minor) release of XFCE? My ultimate plan hopefuly is to try and
help out blind people in my state, and XFCE running with at-spi and Orca
would be nice because I could eventually once I get my life together and
such help out other blind people who may not have computers by giving them
cheap computers running xubuntu ...also maybe for the next release of
xubuntu which uses the XFCE desktop you could include those gnome libraries
so that way XFCE could finally be accessible for blind people. Also is there
any equivalent to direct-x in linux XFCE? I'm asking because audio games
would be nice to have on XFCE, gnome, or both. There are currently no audio
games for linux. Well, except for soundRTS written in Python.
I unfortunately am not a programmer yet, and not sure if I have what it
takes to ever become one. I'll explain how an audio game works. With most
audio games there is just a plain dialog box, because not sure about linux
but in windows you need some indicator the program is running. Ok so the
game has no graphics or pictures whatsoever in it. Let's take Dark Destroyer
for example, a free space invaders game for blind people. no...better yet,
enemy attack since it's free and open source. Ok so no pictures whatsoever
on screen. Now when the main menu loads up when you up and down arrow you
hear, start new game, check speakers. this is because when you arrow down to
check speakers most audio games are in stereo. so this plays a sound that
moves from the far left channel to the far right channel so you can tell if
you speakers or headphones are set up in the right positions. So when you
play the game, the game is based on matching where you hear the sounds at in
the stereo field or in some cases, even the surround sound field. But most
people don't have surround sound so all the games have stereo options also.
So lets say there's an enemy plain sound in the right speaker I hit or hold
in left and right arrows, moving the sound back and forth until it's
centered. Then I hit the spacebar to fire whatever weapon i choose. then if
I have the enemy sound centered the enemy is killed. in edition the sound
lowers in pitch and starts out quiet and gets louder gradually as the enemy
character gets closer. Shades of doom by gma games www.gmagames.com is
another example of an audio game. If I could run most of my favorite
programs in Linux I'd certainly switch to it. ESpeak for orca supports lots
of languages so that's not a problem but I would really miss not being able
to play jim's nfl football and other games like that.

Josh

email: jkenn337 at gmail.com
skype: jkenn337
msn: kenn6498ku at hotmail.com