Problem with the Volume Panel plugin

Andrew Robinson andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:39:00 CET 2008

I just wrote bash scripts and tied them using xfce's keyboard support (using
xmodmap to define names for the keys).

Example mute and louder:

~/.Xmodmap
keycode 160 = XF86AudioMute

~/bin/mute
#!/bin/bash
if [ -z "$MASTER_AUDIO" -a -f ~/.bash_env ]; then
  . .bash_env
fi

amixer set $MASTER_AUDIO toggle
display-volume
exit 0

~/.bash_env
export MASTER_AUDIO="Front"
export ALT_AUDIO="PCM Master"

Here is my louder script:
#!/bin/bash

if [ "$1" != "" ] ; then
  VOLADJ=${1}+
else
  VOLADJ="1+"
fi

if [ -z "$MASTER_AUDIO" -a -f ~/.bash_env ]; then
  . .bash_env
fi

if amixer get $MASTER_AUDIO | grep "\[off\]" > /dev/null ; then
  amixer set $MASTER_AUDIO toggle
fi

amixer set $MASTER_AUDIO ${VOLADJ}

amixer set $MASTER_AUDIO ${VOLADJ}
if [ -n "$ALT_AUDIO" ]; then
  for i in $ALT_AUDIO; do
    amixer set $i 100%
  done
fi
display-volume
exit 0

~/bin/display-volume
#!/bin/sh

if ! pgrep osdsh > /dev/null ; then
  ~/bin/start-osd
fi

if amixer get $MASTER_AUDIO | grep "\[off\]" > /dev/null ; then
  osdctl -s "MUTE ON"
else

  NUM1=`amixer get $MASTER_AUDIO | grep "%" | head -n1 | perl -ne '/(\d+)%/;
print $1;'`
  NUM2=`amixer get $MASTER_AUDIO | grep "%" | tail -n1 | perl -ne '/(\d+)%/;
print $1;'`
  AVG=`expr \( $NUM1 + $NUM2 \) / 2`
  osdctl -b "Volume: $AVG%",$AVG
fi