Looking for mailwatch app

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Fri Aug 29 19:51:22 CEST 2008

On 2008-08-29, Grant Edwards <grante at visi.com> wrote:
> I'm currently using a very hacked-up old version of gkrellm to
> monitor my mailboxes.  I don't want to maintain it (and there
> are problems with fonts I've never figured out), so I'd like to
> replace it with something else.  I want a separate
> indicator/button and commands for each mailbox.
>
> [...]

I've created a separate panel just for mailwatchers and
configured one mailwatcher for each of the mailboxes I want to
watch.  I haven't created icons yet, so other than memorizing
the order, I don't know which icon is for what.

I have noticed that editing configuration info using the
mailwatcher property dialogs is rather flaky:

 * I had to change the timeout period on some of the instances
   3 or 4 times before it would "stick".  I'd change it from 10
   minutes to 1 minute, close all of the dialog boxes, and then
   when I opened the property dialog again, it had changed back
   to 10 minutes.

 * I still can't figure out how to tell mailwatch that "INBOX"
   isn't the name of my inbox.  The checkbox next to INBOX is
   stuck in the "checked" state.

 * I was unable to configure one of my inboxes (named
   "Mail/inbox") on one server.  The little box next to it was
   checked by default, but when I traced the IMAP connection,
   Mail/inbox wasn't being queried.  I finally resorted to
   editing the mailwatch*.rc file by hand to add Mail/inbox.
   Now it's checking Mail/inbox -- it's still also checking
   INBOX (which isn't an inbox), but that's harmless.

I'd be perfectly happy just editing the .rc files, but I can't
figure out how to get the applet to re-read them without
shutting down xfce and restarting it.

All that's left is to create some icons with names (and that
don't take up so much screen space).

Has anybody considered just keeping the IMAP connection up
instead shutting down and starting up a connection for each
poll? Holding an IMAP connection open uses a _lot_ less
resources (on both ends) than does constantly re-doing SSL
handshaking and SSL and IMAP authentication protocols.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I like your SNOOPY
                                  at               POSTER!!