Guess we're major now ...

jannis at xfce.org jannis at xfce.org
Thu Aug 28 11:28:58 CEST 2008

Hey,

On Thu, Aug 28, 2008 at 11:58:42AM +0530, Biju Chacko wrote:
> Just read the announcement for Debian LiveCD Beta Release:
>
> http://lwn.net/Articles/295698/
>
> One paragraph jumped out at me:
>
> "Although live-helper is a toolkit to produce your very own live systems
> with only a few steps, we also provide prebuilt images that are meant to
> be used as reference systems for end-users. Currently, this consists of
> the three major desktop environments (GNOME, KDE and Xfce), as well as a
> small 'standard' image without a graphical environment."
>
> A few years ago we would never have been clubbed in the same sentence
> with GNOME and KDE. Really does give me a kick ..

Yeah, it's nice! Kudos out to distributions like Xubuntu and Zenwalk who
helped in making Xfce more popular. What makes it even better is this
paragraph from the known issues section:

 "The prebuilt images for gnome-desktop and kde-desktop are a bit too
  big to fit on a CD. Although the automatic installation of
  Recommends was disabled to build the images, they are still too big.
  This will need further tweaking as they are supposed to fit with the
  next beta."

So we're not only "major" but also the only "major" distribution to
completely fit on a CD. ;)

  - Jannis