Recovering From Error

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Aug 24 19:08:24 CEST 2008

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008, Robby Workman wrote:

> Reinstalling Slackware's xfce package will replace the missing library
> files and run ldconfig(1), so everything should work afterward.  If not,
> then perhaps you have some cruft in /usr/local/ or some such.

Robby,

   That's what I expected, but the kruft must be well hidden. Anyway, I
restored everything but the workspaces on the panel. Then I looked at 'add
an item' when I right-clicked on the separator and found that 'desktop
switcher' is a choice. So I choose it.

   Now I have the 10 desktop spaces on the taskbar, but they have the
workspace name on them rather than the icons for the contents. For example,
workspace #1 has 2 virtual terminals and that's what I used to see on the
panel. Now there's a rectangle that says 'xterm.' So I'm one step closer but
still missing some knowledge of how to return the panel appearance of the
virtual desktops to what they were before (representatives of the windows
open in them, or blank if no application was open in that space).

Thanks,

Rich