Recovering From Error

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Sun Aug 24 17:41:32 CEST 2008

   Yesterday afternoon I was attempting to use the trackball to switch from
one virtual desktop to another (an action I've done thousands of times) when
I screwed things up. I must have been holding a shift or control key at the
time because I lost the panel and all virtual desktops other than the one I
was on at the time. I've not been able to recover from this despite
re-installing the xfce Slackware package and replacing a couple of missing
libraries from the backup tape. When I open a virtual terminal and type
'xfce4-panel &' it comes up (only until I close that terminal window). What
I see in response to the command is:

** (xfce4-panel:634): WARNING **: module
/usr/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins/libshowdesktop.so cannot be opened:
libxfce4panel.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

** (xfce4-panel:634): WARNING **: module
/usr/lib/xfce4/panel-plugins/libwindowlist.so cannot be opened:
libxfce4panel.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or
directory

** (xfce4-panel:634): CRITICAL **: find_master: assertion `mixer_handle !=
-1' failed

** (xfce4-panel:634): WARNING **: oss: No master volume

   From the backup tape I restored libshowdesktop.so and libwindowlist.so.
However, I cannot find libxfce4panel.so.1.

   I cannot reproduce the error nor can I restore the behavior of the system
as it was before. Suggestions appreciated.

Rich