Xfdesktop does not display application icons properly

Fabian Nowak timystery at arcor.de
Tue Aug 12 22:27:35 CEST 2008

Hey all,

since several months with a rather old svn trunk version (slightly
after 4.4 release), I did not have any "nice" starter icons on the
desktop on my main PC with Debian, though I do not have any problems
with regular Debian packages on my laptop and Ubuntu packages on my
machine at work, i.e. most icons except for folders, trash, home, are
just simple i-am-a-text-file icons -- only for this one and only machine.

Do you have any idea of any dependencies that might have been forgotten
for a long time to check in the configure script? It configures nicely
all the time, and I tried current svn a few weeks ago, same problem,
even updated now.
Trying an apt-get install xfdesktop4 does not propose any non-xfce
packages to be added, so the  distro guys did not add additional
dependencies. Or are you aware of any cleanups in ~/.config that have
to be undertaken to make things work again? I had a problem with
irregular icon sizes at another PC, but already checked that... Same
applies for icon themes - using Tango  already for a long time anyway.

Dbus libs are installed, header files as well, dbus-daemon is running.

Btw., I pretty much like current svn xfdesktop, especially with regard
to how the context menus and desktop menus are handled, nice work.

Best regards

Fabian