xfce4-mailwatch not connecting under transparent proxy

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 00:08:39 CEST 2008

Hello everyone,

I use xfce4-mailwatch to check my Gmail boxes. However, I connect to
Internet through a transparent proxy, and I suspect that this causes
connection errors. Unlike the xfce4-weather, where I can manually
specify the connection settings, xfce4-mailwatch seems to
automagically detect the proxy settings. However, it fails:
"[Mailbox] Failed to connect to server: Connection refused"

I get the same error message for to separate accounts. My proxy
settings are specified through the following env variables:
liviu at localhost ~ $ env | grep -i proxy
http_proxy=PROXY_SERVER:PORT
ftp_proxy=PROXY_SERVER:PORT
rsync_proxy=PROXY_SERVER:PORT
https_proxy=PROXY_SERVER:PORT

As far as I know, Xfce has no "central place" where to specify the
proxy settings. Could anyone suggest how to make xfce4-mailwatch
honour the proxy settings?

Regards,
Liviu