foreign languages do not display

Jimmy Wu jimmywu013+xfce at gmail.com
Wed Apr 23 04:36:38 CEST 2008

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu> wrote:
> Jimmy Wu wrote:
>  > I popped in a CD with some Chinese filenames - all of these show up as
>  > question marks in Thunar.
>  > What do I need to do to get these filenames to display?
>
>  Chinese fonts?  I suspect you already have those...

I would think I do - I am running Debian and when I installed it, I
chose several locales - the following is the output of 'locale -a'
en_US
en_US.iso88591
en_US.iso885915
en_US.utf8
[...]
POSIX
zh_CN
zh_CN.gb18030
zh_CN.gb2312
zh_CN.gbk
zh_CN.utf8
zh_HK
zh_HK.big5hkscs
zh_HK.utf8
zh_TW
zh_TW.big5
zh_TW.euctw
zh_TW.utf8

>  It might not be that simple, though.  If the CD uses a different
>  filename encoding than Thunar expects, the filenames won't display
>  correctly.  I'm not sure how to fix that.  Is there any output on
>  console?  Thunar might be complaining in a way that's useful.

How do I find the error log?

>  Also -- if you use a File->Open dialog using another gtk app, is it able
>  to display the filenames on the CD correctly?

nope

Thanks for the help,
--
Jimmy Wu