Kill, must kill!

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Mon Oct 29 23:24:06 CET 2007

Jonathan Hepburn wrote:

> That's the bit I'm not used to: I'm more familiar with settings
> managers which write a config file which is then read by the relevant
> applications, rather than a program which exists for the purpose of
> telling another program how to behave.

Both models certainly have their merits.  Unfortunately our (aging)
config system is even more limited than that -- only the settings
manager daemon is allowed to set settings, and everyone else can only
read.  I've been working on a new system for the past couple months that
should be ready Any Day Now[tm] that's a lot more flexible (though still
involves a 'settings daemon'), and will probably eventually (not for
'v1.0' though) have a mode where applications can more or less directly
read from the configuration store (mainly for performance reasons).

 > This would explain why it's so
> devilishly hard to find out how to change GTK behaviour with config
> files, then!

Actually, you can modify pretty much all of gtk's tunables by creatin a
~/.gtkrc-2.0 file and adding 'stuff' to that.  You'll have to dig
through gtk's resource file/themeing documentation to figure out how to
do that, and I don't think there's a central place where you can figure
out what all the various properties are: you have to dig through all of
the gtk API docs.  But it can be done, and it's quite powerful.  The
gtkrc file overrides what's in XSETTINGS (which is what the xfce
settings manager sets), so you could maintain your settings in your
gtkrc if you want, and nothing else could override it.

> (N.B.: I'm really, really, _really_, not trying to start a discussion
> about which is _better_.)

Good; we could be here for months... or years ^_~.

	-brian