Specifying the primary monitor with xrandr, xfce4 and xserver-xorg-video-intel

mmassonnet at gmail.com mmassonnet at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 20:13:09 CEST 2007

On Wed, Oct 17, 2007 at 09:56:46AM -0600, Andrew Robinson wrote:
> Is there any way to tell XFCE which monitor to treat as the primary one?
>
> I am using the intel graphics driver, and am positioning my monitor
> using xrandr's 1.2 features:
>
> #enable external display
> xrandr --output TMDS --auto
> # set location
> xrandr --output TMDS-1 --above LVDS
>
> all my applications go to the TMDS-1 (External DVI monitor) and not to
> the LVDS. Even worse, when I disconnect my external monitor, all the
> open widows shift down and I am left with the title bars only showing
> just above my panel at the bottom of my laptop.
>
> I would like my laptop to be the primary monitor. Is there any way to
> do this with XFCE?

OK, now I get it.  I just created a new machine in VirtualBox and the
dialog opened in the VGA display, and not where the main window is.
Well, it works fine with some apps and not with others.

But I guess since xinerama is dead (e.g. replaced by xrandr 1.2), the
different components that used it need some fix…

> Thanks,
> Andrew

Mike