4.4.1 placing windows on the wrong monitor

David Mohr damailings at mcbf.net
Mon Oct 8 15:41:58 CEST 2007

HI,
I'm running debian unstable, and I just upgraded from 4.4.0 to 4.4.1.
I have a dual monitor setup as two X screens (not xinerama).
Now I can open a terminal, run program, thunar or my webbrowser just
fine from the xfdesktop menu on my secondary monitor. But when thunar
opens a program, or I choose mousepad from the accessories of the
xfdesktop popup menu, then my application appears on my primary
monitor. Yet i.e. items from the settings menu get placed on the
correct screen again... I have no idea why the behavior is so
inconsistent. At first I thought it might be a too sanitized
environment (maybe DISPLAY gets removed before spawning a new
process?), but then why does it work for some and not for others?

Let me point out that it is a huge annoyance when applications get
placed on the wrong screen, because there is no way to move them
manually from one to the other, instead I have to close them and open
them up again by hand on the correct screen.

Let me know if you need more info.

~David