Xfce users in Zero Install survey

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 5 01:35:25 CEST 2007

Nick Schermer wrote:

> Well only 1.56% knows about zeroinstall, so probably < 1% actually uses it.

I won't debate this, as I don't know how many people know about it, and
I suspect you don't either.

> Maybe the 'not a standard' argument was not a good one, but you still
> have to agree with me dropping a zero install url on a launcher is not
> a good wait to install applications.

Your use of the word "install" is not very good here.  You don't install
Zero Install apps (hence the name).  You simply run them, and they get
cached locally if you haven't run them before.  Adding it to the
launcher doesn't actually *do* anything -- it only sets the launcher to
launch the app it it clicked, just as if it was a 'normal' local pp.

> I've no problems supporting other projects, but the launcher is not
> the right place to implement zeroinstall.

Then what is?  It's a place to add applications to your panel.  What
does it matter if the app is local or remote?  Please don't remove a
potentially useful feature that has no impact on other uses of the
panel/launcher just because you don't understand it.

	-brian