Xfce users in Zero Install survey

Thomas Leonard talex5 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 5 01:06:08 CEST 2007

On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:54:26 +0200, Nick Schermer wrote:

> 2007/10/4, Brian J. Tarricone <bjt23 at cornell.edu>:
>> In all seriousness, whether or not something is a formal standard isn't
>> really relevant to what we do.  If it's useful, and people use it, we
>
> Well only 1.56% knows about zeroinstall, so probably < 1% actually uses
> it.

To clarify this: this is the percentage of people responding to the
survey who said that the way they use Zero Install is by "Drag-and-drop
to the Xfce panel", not the percentage of Xfce panel users who know about
or use this feature.

However, the survey has been mainly advertised on the ROX web-site (hence
my post here to even it out a bit).

>> should try to support it if we have the time, and someone cares >
>> enough to do it.  Reverting working code because it adds support for a
>> feature that hasn't been blessed by some nonexistent standards body in
>> the sky is just silly.
>
> Maybe the 'not a standard' argument was not a good one, but you still
> have to agree with me dropping a zero install url on a launcher is not a
> good wait to install applications.

What you're doing is adding a launcher to the panel, which is why this
seemed like a sensible place to me, especially as the patch to do it was
so short. Having a text entry to type the URL of the program as an
alternative to using drag-and-drop might be a good idea, but I didn't
want to make any visible change to the UI, since at the time Zero Install
wasn't widely used.

Now it is in the Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu repositories it might be
useful to more people, though there are still only 155 programs currently
available, according to this list:

  http://0install.net/injector-feeds.html

Thanks,

--