Xfce users in Zero Install survey

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Fri Oct 5 00:40:29 CEST 2007

Thomas Leonard wrote:
> On Thu, 04 Oct 2007 10:25:54 -0700, Brian J. Tarricone wrote:
>> Thomas Leonard wrote:
>>
>>> Xfce users seem to be rather under-represented in the Zero Install
>>> survey (at 1.56% currently!). If you use Zero Install with Xfce (i.e.
>>> the ability to drag a program from a web-page into the panel's launcher
>>> configuration dialog to add it) [...]
>> Is there anything we can do to add better/easier support for ZeroInstall
>> to Xfce in general?  I'd actually forgotten that the panel supported
>> this, but I think it could be pretty useful, especially for a somewhat
>> 'bare bones' desktop like ours.
>
> The main missing bit is a way to get from an application's launcher to
> the versions dialog (e.g. if you want to check for updates manually, or
> roll-back to a previous version). In ROX, you can right-click on a
> launcher and choose 'Versions...' from the menu. It would be nice to have
> something similar in Xfce.

That's actually not that difficult, I don't think.  Thunar supports
'menu provider' plugins that can be used to add items to the context
menu of certain files (xfdesktop would automatically benefit from this
as it makes use of the same plugins).  I doubt you could install this
to-be-written plugin via Zero Install, though...

Of course, neither Thunar nor xfdesktop know how to actually launch Zero
Install packages -- unless that can be done using the normal mime-type
mechanism of associating the packages with an app to handle the
launching (sorry, I don't really know how Zero Install pacakges work!).

	-brian