No title bar or borders

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 13:22:13 CET 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 1:12 PM, Stefan Schwarzburg
<stefan.schwarzburg at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2007/11/25, Adelle Hartley <adelle at akemi.com.au>:
> > >
> > > xfwm4 &
> >
> > Thanks.  Why does that work?
>
> The window  boarders are drawn by a program. Such programs are typically
> called "window managers". The window manager of xfce4 is "xfwm4", which
> stands for "Xfce window manager 4". If this program is not running, your
> windows will have no boarders.
> You start this program with the command "xfwm4" and you send it to the
> background (= run separated from the terminal in with you typed that
> command) with a trailing "&". Without that, the windowmanager would be
> killed, when you close the terminal.

xfwm4 will still be killed when you start it with "xfwm4 &" when you
close the terminal. And that's bad, because that means xfwm4 won't be
saved in the session, when the terminal is closed before xfwm4 is (and
in my experience, it does that). You need to disown it to. That is,
"xfwm4 & disown".

Regards, Alexander Toresson