No title bar or borders

Stefan Schwarzburg stefan.schwarzburg at googlemail.com
Sun Nov 25 13:12:08 CET 2007

2007/11/25, Adelle Hartley <adelle at akemi.com.au>:

> On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 10:47 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> > On dim, 2007-11-25 at 20:38 +1100, Adelle Hartley wrote:
> > > For some reason my windows no longer have title bars or borders.  Is
> > > there a way of getting them back?
> >
> > xfwm4 &
>
> Thanks.  Why does that work?

The window  boarders are drawn by a program. Such programs are typically
called "window managers". The window manager of xfce4 is "xfwm4", which
stands for "Xfce window manager 4". If this program is not running, your
windows will have no boarders.
You start this program with the command "xfwm4" and you send it to the
background (= run separated from the terminal in with you typed that
command) with a trailing "&". Without that, the windowmanager would be
killed, when you close the terminal.

If you want to find out more about such things, you could for example read
this:
    http://www.er.uqam.ca/nobel/r10735/unixcomm.html
or this
    http://tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/
If you want to know more about Xfce4, you can read more here:
    http://www.xfce.org/documentation/4.2/
It's not up to date, but it's very useful.

Cheers,
Stefan

Adelle.