Screen lock not holding

TerryX terauck-xfce at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 19 13:11:56 CET 2007

Thanks for the reply.  I've inserted responses.

mmassonnet wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 11:48:15PM -0800, TerryX wrote:
>> First, xscreensaver seems not to start automatically when I log in and I
>> cannot find a way to set that.  This happened initially in the console:
>
> Mmmh, you can add it via xfce4-autostart-editor.

Yes, there's a man page on the website.  The simple command 'xscreensaver'
is incorrect.  One problem is that any command which starts the daemon is
not sticking.  When I check again later, the screen saver is no longer
running.

>> > <snip>
>> >

>> The screen saver ran but stopped as soon as I pressed a key whereupon I
>> had
>> the session back without having to log in.  Now, I have to hit the panel
>> "lock screen" icon with a hammer to get a response and then it's the same
>> thing: screen saver and immediate return to the session on pressing any
>> key.
>
> Run xscreensaver-demo to get to the configuration dialog.  The MCS
> plugin in Settings > Screensaver invokes that, or something like that.
>
> Also remember that you can read the manual and run each xscreensaver*
> commands with --help (/usually/ it prints a short help).
>
> HTH
> mike

Thanks.  Getting a configuration dialogue does not help.  Even when I get
the screen saver to work, the screen lock does NOT work.  Persistent
pressing of the panel plug-in eventually gets the screen saver working.
When I subsequently press a key or move the mouse, the screen saver
disappears, the usual log-in dialogue flashes briefly and I'm back in.

Unfortunately, the distro is Kde-centric so I'm getting no help there.  If I
can't sort this out soon I'll have to change my arrangements somehow,
grumble, groan.

Thanks again.