Screen lock not holding

TerryX terauck-xfce at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 19 08:48:15 CET 2007

Alexander Toresson wrote:

> On Nov 18, 2007 1:34 PM, TerryX <terauck-xfce at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
>>

>> TerryX wrote:
>> >
>> > This fault has arisen in the past week.  The lock goes on (using the
>> panel
>> > plug-in) but goes off as soon as the keyboard or mouse is used.
>> >
>> > <snip>
>> >

>> I'm getting this error message when I try to run an xscreensaver command:

>> Xlib: connection to ":0.0" refused by server
>> Xlib: No protocol specified
>>
>> xscreensaver: Can't open display: :0.0
>> xscreensaver: initial effective uid/gid was root/root (0/0)
>> xscreensaver: running as nobody/nogroup (65534/65534)
>>
>> xscreensaver: This is probably because you're logging in as root.  You
>>               shouldn't log in as root: you should log in as a normal
>> user,
>>               and then `su' as needed.  If you insist on logging in as
>>               root, you will have to turn off X's security features
>> before
>>               xscreensaver will work.
>>
>> I am not logged in as root.
>
> Does xscreensaver-command -lock return the same error?
> If so, the bug is probably in xscreensaver. But it is indeed strange that
> it
> cannot connect to your X server.
>
> Regards, Alexander Toresson

Thanks for replying.  There seem to be more than one fault.

First, xscreensaver seems not to start automatically when I log in and I
cannot find a way to set that.  This happened initially in the console:

> $ xscreensaver-command -lock
> xscreensaver-command: no screensaver is running on display :0.0
> $ xscreensaver-command -activate
> xscreensaver-command: no screensaver is running on display :0.0

So, not knowing what else to do, I ran 'xscreensaver' and then used a
dialogue that appeared.  Thereupon I got the following in the console:

> $ xscreensaver-command -lock
> xscreensaver-command: activating and locking.

The screen saver ran but stopped as soon as I pressed a key whereupon I had
the session back without having to log in.  Now, I have to hit the panel
"lock screen" icon with a hammer to get a response and then it's the same
thing: screen saver and immediate return to the session on pressing any key.

regards, Terry