Screen lock not holding

TerryX terauck-xfce at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 18 13:34:52 CET 2007

TerryX wrote:

> This fault has arisen in the past week.  The lock goes on (using the panel
> plug-in) but goes off as soon as the keyboard or mouse is used.
>
> I've looked at the documentation and there seems to be none on the screen
> lock.  What could I do to fix this or diagnose the problem?  I'm running
> version 4.4.1 (Xfce 4.4) on Pclinuxos 2007.
>
> <snip>

I'm getting this error message when I try to run an xscreensaver command:

Xlib: No protocol specified

xscreensaver: Can't open display: :0.0
xscreensaver: initial effective uid/gid was root/root (0/0)
xscreensaver: running as nobody/nogroup (65534/65534)

xscreensaver: This is probably because you're logging in as root.  You
              shouldn't log in as root: you should log in as a normal user,
              and then `su' as needed.  If you insist on logging in as
              root, you will have to turn off X's security features before
              xscreensaver will work.

I am not logged in as root.