wallpaper

Brian J. Tarricone bjt23 at cornell.edu
Wed Nov 7 19:15:34 CET 2007

Luo Hei wrote:

> Stephan Arts escribió:
 >>
>> Start a cron-job which periodically calls xfdesktop --reload.
 >
> Can be done also with an script included in autostarted apps. The big
> problem with this solution is that when you log out, the script or the
> cron job still keep trying to run xfdesktop.
> So, I also join the petition of native multiple wallpaper support.

Petition?  Heh.  File an enhancement request on Bugzilla.  If I think it
fits, it'll go in.  If not, it won't.  If someone wants to work up a
patch (against svn trunk, not 4.4.x), the chances of it getting in go up.

	-brian

P.S. Here's a script you can run from autorun that will terminate on its
own when your session exits:

----- cut here -----
#!/usr/bin/perl -w

my $timeout = 30;  # minutes

use Gtk2;
use strict;

Gtk2->init;

while(1) {
     sleep($timeout * 60);
     system("xfdesktop --reload");
}
----- cut here -----

It's a little heavy-weight for what it does, but it'll work.
(Obviously, it requires gtk2-perl to be installed.)

(For the curious: Gtk2->init asks gtk to make a connection to your X
display.  When your X display goes away, gtk will automatically
terminate the application.)