Default keyboard layout?

Andrew Robinson andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 17:31:45 CET 2007

For some reason, xfce is always using "us" as my keyboard layout
instead of "us-dvorak" when I log into an xfce session. The dvorak
layout is my variant in my xorg.conf:

Section "InputDevice"
  Identifier  "Generic Keyboard"
  Driver    "kbd"
  Option    "CoreKeyboard"
  Option    "XkbRules"  "xorg"
  Option    "XkbModel"  "pc105"
  Option    "XkbLayout"  "us"
  Option    "XkbVariant" "dvorak"
EndSection

I have both in my xfce keyboard settings so that I can switch back and
forth, but there is no default in that applet. Is there any way to
have xfce read the default layout from xorg, while supporting multiple
layouts to switch between?

Note: I am using the gnome keyboard applet in my panel as the xfce one
does not support differentiating between varients (there is an open
bug on this)

-Andrew