ktorrent not in applications menu

Alexander Toresson alexander.toresson at gmail.com
Thu May 24 08:38:27 CEST 2007

On 5/24/07, shirish <shirishag75 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>         I have been having few issues with xfce so if somebody can
> respond to them it would be cool :-
> 1. I downloaded & am using ktorrent as I didn't find any other
> .torrent client usable as of yet. Now I looked at Applications >
> Network > Peer-to-Peer (which could have been said p2p also perhaps? )
> and in there I just find Gtk-Gnutella & nothing else :/. The ktorrent
> application is in the File transfer sub-menu instead of p2p which
> would be the better place for it.

This doesn't at all sound like the layout the Xfce menu has. Maybe
your distro has enabled the (for now) unsupported multi-level mode of
it?

In any case, note that the application itself decides where it's
supposed to be put in the menu through its .desktop file.

> 2. Epiphany & deskbar-applet integration :- I switch between firefox &
> epiphany as I have seen firefox become non-responsive after several
> hours of working or non-working to the point where I'm unable to do
> anything. Epiphany meanwhile does the job better. Now to have
> shortcuts there is something called deskbar-applet which is also
> installed but still couldn't get it. Its not there in my .gnome2
> folder. Don't know whether thats a gnome issue, deskbar applet issue
> or an xfce issue but hoping to find out. Have people been able to use
> the desk-bar applet or not in xfce?

deskbar-applet appears to be a gnome panel applet. You could try using
it using xfapplet, an xfce panel plugin that enables you to use many
gnome panel plugins in the xfce panel. In any case, I don't really
understand what deskbar-applet has to do with the firefox/epiphany
problem.

> 2b. Another browser :- Does xfce have some browser which it recommends
> instead of epiphany or what? If there is some recommendations page
> which says these are best integrated with xfce would like to take a
> look at that page.

Right now there is no recommended browser for Xfce. You may use any you want.

Regards, Alexander Toresson