Desktop Icons

Jim Summers jsummers at cs.ou.edu
Wed May 9 21:28:07 CEST 2007

Made some good progress, using an idea from another mail thread.  It mentioned
creating desktop files via the right-click on an existing shortcut.  I was
able to get the 'Home' shortcut's icon set properly by doing this and
disabling the system generated one.

But, I haven't conquered the 'Trash'.  I prowled around on the thunar page and
even read the specs for desktop trash.  But I haven't been able create a
shortcut that behaves like the system 'Trash' shortcut.

Naturally I could dig around around and start copying icon files all over but
that wouldn't really be good.  I still haven't located the portion/package of
xfce that deals with the desktop trash link.  I scanned the files in the
thunar package but nothing was obvious to me.

Ideas / suggestions?

TIA

Jasper Huijsmans wrote:
> Jim Summers wrote:
>> It opened nautilus.  Then I
>> right-clicked on the desktop and now I do not have a xfce mgr, it seems to be
>> nautilus.  Then using ps and kill I got rid of the nautilus process, but then
>> all of the desktop icons are gone.  Tried to -HUP the xfce-mcs-manager process
>> but that has yielded no joy.
>>
>> Ideas??
>>

> Yeah. I'm afraid nautilus is not behaving very nicely in its default
> settings (IMHO) and tries to take over the desktop when you don't use a
> command line option or change the settings. Unfortunately, when doing
> this xfdesktop is killed (I don't think we really know why this happens).
>
> In short, to get your icons back, press Alt-F2 and run xfdesktop. That
> should do the trick.
>
>     Jasper

Jim Summers
School of Computer Science-University of Oklahoma