Desktop Icons

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue May 8 21:38:59 CEST 2007

Jim Summers wrote:
> It opened nautilus.  Then I
> right-clicked on the desktop and now I do not have a xfce mgr, it seems to be
> nautilus.  Then using ps and kill I got rid of the nautilus process, but then
> all of the desktop icons are gone.  Tried to -HUP the xfce-mcs-manager process
> but that has yielded no joy.
>
> Ideas??

Yeah. I'm afraid nautilus is not behaving very nicely in its default
settings (IMHO) and tries to take over the desktop when you don't use a
command line option or change the settings. Unfortunately, when doing
this xfdesktop is killed (I don't think we really know why this happens).

In short, to get your icons back, press Alt-F2 and run xfdesktop. That
should do the trick.

    Jasper