Some icons not sizing properly in vertical system tray

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Sun May 6 10:44:14 CEST 2007

Hoi Henk,

Henk Boom wrote:
> Hi, when using a vertical system tray, variable-sized system tray
> icons (such as those of xchat, deluge, sonata, but not gaim) come up
> with a default size instead of the proper size for the system tray.
> For deluge and xchat this default size looks as small as 1x1 pixels.
> They resize to a proper size when I switch the panel to horizontal and
> back. Also, when I move a system tray from a big horizontal panel to a
> small vertical panel, the icons keep their sizes from the larger panel
> (this is most pronounced with xchat's icon).
>
> I was going to submit a bug report, but I don't really have any way of
> telling whether it is a bug in the system tray plugin (I can't see
> anything suspiciously asymmetric between height and width in the
> source code myself) or in the applications themselves (maybe they
> assume that all system trays are horizontal so don't bother paying
> attention to width change requests?).
>
> What should I do about this?

Please, do file a bug report. I don't know either if the system tray or
the application is at fault (or even both ;-), but maybe we can find a
way to make it work anyway. I never found out exactly how these things
are supposed to work; lots of X internals involved, which doesn't
exactly make things easier.

Thanks,
    Jasper