True Transparency

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Mar 21 14:55:07 CET 2007

On 3/21/07, thomas larrieu <thomas.larrieu at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
> I've just installed Xfce 4.4.0. I'd like to know how to get
> the true transparency feature working on my desktop.
> I've tried many different ways but none of those methods did make an
> effect...
> Among those methods :
> Adding
>
> Section "Extensions"
>  option "Composite" "Enable"
>  Option "RENDER" "Enable"
> EndSection
> and
>
> Option "RenderAccel" "1"
>  Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "on"
>
> (into the "Device" Section)
>
> to my /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> I've the following video card : Hercule 3d Prophet 4500 TV OUT 64MB. (i
> wonder wether this card is or not two old to handle "composite" feature)

Really, you gotta worry more about the driver

> I'm now sure that my failure to set true transparency is due to a problem of
> configuration but i do not know what to set up.
> If anyone have any idea of how to make transparency working...

Do you have the compositor running? Checking the Compositor tab of the
Window Manager Tweaks (under Settings in the menu).

Erik

<@kazin> why does php have 'echo' and 'print'?  Do they do different things?
<Bluefoxicy> kazin:  echo prints in a big empty room