Xfce4.4 - Sensor-plugin stopped working

timystery at arcor.de timystery at arcor.de
Sat Mar 3 16:28:57 CET 2007

> On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:19:29 +0100
> Fabian Nowak <timystery at arcor.de> wrote:
>
> Hi Fabian
>
> > OK, in order to sum up, we can say that on the one hand the "sensor
> > item" for hard disks is shown wrongly on kernel 2.6.19 (there are no
> > disks to be monitored). Is this also the case for 2.6.18 and earlier?
>
> I don't (yet) care for the harddisks. The title is shown always, but no
> data is present. But that is of no concern for me. I just wanted the CPU
> sensors to work.
>
> > As a second item, the interface to libsensors works very well with
> > linux-2.6.28, while with 2.6.19 no sensor chip is detected at all?
>
> The 'sensors' program works with all version (2.6.18-2.6.20) without
> problem at all. As it is based on libsensors, libsensors also works.
>
> > I will address those problems in May when my diploma thesis will
> > hopefully be finished (dunno where to take the space for linux-2.619
> > on /boot from, but I'm still waiting for new hard disks donated to
> > me ;). As I already did lots of work concerning the internal sensors
> > management, there also is no real chance for anyone to help out. Sorry
> > for the bad news. You might want to try the lua-plugin with a little
> > lua-script reading the output of sensors periodically instead of the
> > "one and only" sensors-plugin ;)
>
> GOOD news:
>
> I compiled & installed 2.6.20.1 late yesterday night, and the
> sensors-plugin works again! (So the problem is only with 2.6.19 - maybe
> only with 2.6.19.2). Even the two k8temps are shown!

that's indeed good news!

Is the hddtemp-combobox-entry still shown?

> Still no harddisk though, but I guess some program is missing there.

Yep - hddtemp is used. The next version will have configure autodetection for libsensors and ACPI and hddtemp, which will ease up migration to other Unices and make life easier for package maintainers who might be unwilling to depend on hddtemp or libsensors for the plugin to work.

CU, Fabian