password for shutdown - how to bypass?

Nick Deubert ndeubert at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 22:01:07 CEST 2007

On 5/30/07, Andrew Robinson <andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com> wrote:

> > If let users run xfsm-shutdown-helper through sudo (no matter if
> > passwords are asked), then anyone using the machine through network
> > will be able to shut it down, isn't it?
>
> No, check out the sudoers man page. You can allow specific groups,
> specific users, users on the local machine only, etc.

I have the same problem after upgrading.. I have always had the following in
my sudoers  and it has always worked in previous versions, so I think
something changed:
%users ALL = NOPASSWD: /usr/lib/xfce4/xfsm-shutdown-helper

/usr/lib is where my distro installs it:
$ ls -l /usr/lib/xfce4/xfsm-shutdown-helper
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 4176 Apr 10 20:32 /usr/lib/xfce4/xfsm-shutdown-helper