Debug log file location

Landry Breuil landry.breuil at gmail.com
Sat Jun 2 13:20:08 CEST 2007

2007/6/2, JoeHill <joehill at teksavvy.com>:

> tomw at videotron.ca left a post-it on the fridge:
>
> > I compiled the clipman plugin with debug support using
> > configure --prefix=/usr/local  --enable-debug=yes
> > Tried to find log file using find . -name *debug* in $HOME
> > (also /usr/local)   ... nothing (Sorry Nick your second post with the
> log
> > file location appeared to have been cut off) Does not appear to be a
> debug
> > log ... maybe I should try a different plugin with debug=full Thanks for
> any
> > assistance offered.
>
> If I'm recalling my very limited experience with these things correctly,
> what
> you want to do is run the app through gdb to get the output from the
> crash.
>
> See 'man gdb' for more :-)

And for a the debug log, if you use a normal DM (xdm, slim, gdm,..) normally
the stdout/stderr of xfce processes is redirected to ~/.xsession-errors ...
it's like this on my debian and openbsd installs.

also, ps waux | grep 'your plugin', get the pid, and gdb -p 'pid', then 'c'
to let the plugin continue its execution inside gdb.

HTH,
Landry