Changing names of desktop icons and panel colour

Erik Harrison erikharrison at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 19:22:49 CEST 2007

On 7/18/07, andy <geek_show at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> Liviu Andronic wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > The way the panel looks is entirely dependant on the GTK theme that
> > you use. Change the theme, and its aspect will change.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Liviu
> >
> > On 7/17/07, andy <geek_show at dsl.pipex.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Hi all
> >>
> >> I am unable to find much info on resolving the following on Debian Lenny
> >> using Xfce-4.4.1:
> >> 1. How do I change the names of the desktop icons from home, filesystem
> >> and trash
> >> 2. How do I change the background colour of the 2 panels?
> >>
> >> Any help would be appreciated
> >>

> Thanks Liviu
>
> Is that what the choice comes down to - change the GTK theme to change
> the colour of the panel? I like the theme I am using - I just don't like
> the smog colour of the panel: it is quite ugly, to be frank. Why is this
> so dependent on the theme - and what if I wanted a background image to
> the panel?

It's dependent on the theme because that's what the word theme means.
The panel, like other Gtk+ apps, is made out of widgets, those widgets
follow the theme[*]

As for a background image, I'm not sure it would be possible even if
Jasper made the color independently themeable. [*]

-Erik

[*] Jasper/the world can correct me if I'm wrong, but if any manual
system of making the background color change were implemented, I'm not
sure it would be inherited by the plugins, and thus you'd get your
smog grey behind all your various panel widgets anyway.

> Cheers

> --
>
> "If they can get you asking the wrong questions, they don't have to worry about the answers." - Thomas Pynchon, "Gravity's Rainbow"

Erik
"If you want to go somewhere, goto is the best way to get there." - Ken Thompson