How do I move files in Thunar?

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Mon Jan 29 13:03:12 CET 2007

Stavros Giannouris wrote:
> Στις Mon, 29 Jan 2007 21:34:47 +1100
> Ο/Η TerryJ <listmail at exemail.com.au> έγραψε:
>

>> When I drag a file from one folder to another, Thunar copies it
>> instead of moving it.  How do I achieve a move, which I frequently
>> want, instead of a copy, which I almost never do.
>>

> Hold down Shift while dragging.
> The real question though, is why it doesn't default to move is if you
> move files around in the same volume as it should be.
>

>> And while I'm on the subject, can Thunar create symlinks and, if so,
>> how?  I use Midnight Commander normally but sometimes it's convenient
>> to use the file browser.
>>

> Dragging with right click should pop up a menu to chose to symlink
> (among others) when you drop the file.

Thanks for all the replies.  I don't know why but dragging now moves and
using the shift key creates a copy.  I have Alt+mouse key to move
windows so that sort of moved everything.

I don't get the menu offering choices.  Now that I know what should
happen, I can experiment.

I didn't think to look in the menu to create a link.  :-[

--

Regards, TerryJ

Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS. www.revivalcentres.org