panel issues

Stefan Stuhr xfceuserslist at sstuhr.dk
Sun Jan 28 02:48:28 CET 2007

søn, 28 01 2007 kl. 05:24 +0400, skrev Sergey Manucharyan:
> 1) The Panel's "Popup Position" setting have disappeared and never came
> back. I always set it to "Top" (like in CDE) and found it more
> "understandable".

The panel in Xfce 4.4 is new (code-wise, UI-wise and feature-wise). The
launcher plugin is now separate from the panel code (and binary); as
such, it can't have a global panel option like the "Popup Position" one
from Xfce 4.2, it would have to be a per launcher setting.

My personal opinion (I'm not an Xfce developer) is that - if this option
were to be reintroduced in a decent way in Xfce 4.6 - it would require
the development of a new framework to have global/panel options for
plugins.

If this is the only use case for developing such a framework, however, I
am not sure it would be worth it.

> 3) The Icon Box is not separate from the panel (well, I can live with this).

Seeing as you can now have as many panels you want, you can simply make
a new floating panel containing only the Icon Box plugin

> 4) After clicking a System Tray icon couple of times the application (for
> example Gaim) keeps popping up with maximized window (which is definitely
> unacceptable).

It is my impression that Xfce have no control over what happens when one
clicks a System Tray icon belonging to a non-Xfce application. I could
be wrong, and Xfwm4 somehow be at fault.

> Cheers,
> Sergey

Stefan