feature request for settings manager

Stefan Schwarzburg stefan.schwarzburg at googlemail.com
Thu Jan 25 15:36:43 CET 2007

Hi,
first, off cause, I want to thank all the developers for Xfce4.4 ! Its a
fantastic Desktop!

One thing I noticed while showing friends (who now use Xfce too) how to
configure Xfce to their needs was the following:
If you have no clue which part of the Xfce does something (they had used
mainly Windows), then it is hard to configure it. Nothing tragic, but you
might be interested to hear about it.

For example: If you want to switch from one workspace to another with a
keyboard shortcut and you want to start Firefox with a keyboard shortcut
then you might think that you have to search for these features at the same
position.
Or: You are unhappy with the color of your window border, but happy with its
design, you might not think that you have to change this in the User
Interface section (with another Gtk2 theme).

I guess that new users could find it more intuitive if for example the
"Window Manager -> Style" and the "Desktop -> Appearance" part would be
together with the "User Interface" to form something like "Appearance".
Also the "Desktop -> Behavior" together with the "Workspaces and Margins",
the Pager properties (if present) and the "Window Manager -> Advanced" part
could be something like "Workspace".

So, what I would like to ask you for (if you have nothing better to do at
some time in the future :-) ) is to reconsider the UI of the settings
manager and maybe reorder them to be closer to the setting one wants to
change and more independent of the actual part of the software that has to
do something with the setting.

This is actually nothing that someone needs who uses Xfce for some time, but
if new users want to test which Desktop Environment fits them best, then
this might get in the way.
Hope this is a constructive feature request and I would really like to hear
about your thoughts.

Cheers,
Stefan

Institut für Astronomie und Astrophysik