mousepad future

Maximilian Schleiss maxschleiss at bluewin.ch
Thu Jan 25 14:06:26 CET 2007

TerryJ wrote:

> Hi.  I deleted your original message, thinking it was of no relevance to
> me because I don't use mousepad.
>
> I use Kate, mainly because it has the tab extension.  If I'm writing
> scripting, it also has some highlighting options.  Also, I can choose
> the background, font colour and selection colour.
>
> I would like to stop using Kate, just as I would prefer not to use
> Konqueror as a file manager, but I keep using them (and other Kde apps)
> because they are better than the other options.
>
> I would be delighted if Xfce or Gnome came up with better apps but they
> don't.
>
> Cheers.

Hi,

this might sound rude but it is not, I'm just from a native english
language country. Your mail, in my opinion, was totally useless. You are
telling us that you use Kate because you write scripts and it has some
highlighting ability and you can choose  the font, background and
selection colors. Then you explain us that you would like to stop using
konqueror as a file manager as well as other KDE apps because they are
better than the other options. Good for you I would like to say.

The text editor part is the only part of your mail where you tell us
what you are expecting from a text editor. I can't tell to what extent
adding some developer features to the Mousepad editor would make it less
light and fast.

If the apps you are using are better than the others, why would you stop
using them? Because KDE is heavy you would probably answer me. Well
then, why don't you tell us exactly what these options are that you use
in KDE that fail to your quality test in Xfce? And please, be so kind to
begin a new thread for these features that you want to expose as being
absent in Xfce, because this would fall out of the mousepad thread this
mail is in.

There are plenty of applications for GTK that work beautifully under
Xfce and I hope that your new thread will have enough replies to it that
point to these apps.

The main reason I replied to your mail is this:

I would be delighted if Xfce or Gnome came up with better apps but they
don't.

Useless!

As I said before, begin a new thread that you could call "My features
requests for Xfce" and tell us what keeps you from stepping on the evil
side of the mouse. :-p

Max.