mousepad future

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Thu Jan 25 13:44:26 CET 2007

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 1/24/07, Xavier Otazu <xotazu at cvc.uab.es> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 20:26:20 +0100
>> xfce-request at xfce.org wrote:
>>

>>> One of the main reasons why I don't use Mousepad is because it
>>> doesn't have syntax highlighting. Most of my text editing involves
>>> either writing bash scripts or HTML markup.
>>>
>> My opinion about mousepad is that it should be like it is now. The
>> idea behind mousepad is that it should be a VERY SIMPLE and LIGHTWEIGHT
>> editor (in fact, I think it is not so lightweight)
>>
>> If users want a lightweight texteditor with more functionalities, they
>> can use nedit.
>>
>> In fact, nedit uses much less memory (5.5Mb) than mousepad (8.5Mb) and
>> is (and starts) as fast as it. Furthermore, nedit has much more
>> functionalities than mousepad (tabs, sintax highlight, macros, etc). The
>> only difference is that mousepad is more eye candy.
>>

> I don't know about eye candy unless you mean "uses Gtk". And yes, the
> fact that nedit uses less memory that Mousepad and has equally fast
> startup time has always irked me. That said, nedit is generally
> shipped as a statically linked binary, which shaves some startup time,
> and has been hand optimized for years. They've got the run up.
Hi.  I deleted your original message, thinking it was of no relevance to
me because I don't use mousepad.

I use Kate, mainly because it has the tab extension.  If I'm writing
scripting, it also has some highlighting options.  Also, I can choose
the background, font colour and selection colour.

I would like to stop using Kate, just as I would prefer not to use
Konqueror as a file manager, but I keep using them (and other Kde apps)
because they are better than the other options.

I would be delighted if Xfce or Gnome came up with better apps but they
don't.

Cheers.

--

Regards, TerryJ