Menu editor crashes when I try to open /usr/lib

TerryJ listmail at exemail.com.au
Sat Jan 20 00:35:01 CET 2007

Erik Harrison wrote:
> On 1/19/07, TerryJ <listmail at exemail.com.au> wrote:
>
>> Jean-François Wauthy wrote:

>>> If it happens with the libexo icon chooser, try to update libexo. If it
>>> doesn't fix anything fill a bug report with a backtrace.
>>>
>> Thanks for the replies.  Since no one else has the problem, I'll
>> continue to work around it.
>>
>> I have the latest versions available from the distro (Xfce 4.3.99.1-1
>> and libexo 0.3.1.10-0.rc1.1).  SVN means nothing to me except as the
>> consonants in "seven".  And I don't know how to get a "backtrace".
>>

> A backtrace if pretty damn useful for crash bugs - and often critical.
> They're easy to get
>
> http://gaim.sourceforge.net/gdb.php
>
> SVN is short for Subversion, which is where we keep the latest version
> of the code

Thanks for that information.  I installed gdb, kdbg (a graphical
interface) and xxgdb (another graphical interface, which seems to be
extremely bashful).

1. From the command line:

- - - quote - - -
(gdb) run "xfce4-menueditor"
Starting program: /usr/bin/xfce4-menueditor "xfce4-menueditor"

[1]+  Stopped                 gdb
- - - end quote - - -

2. Running xxgdb: something flashed on the screen and disappeared both
with "run programme" and the command line.

3. Running kdbg: I got a debugging screen but no menu editor.

There was no appearance of the editor in each case.  I conclude that gdb
cannot run the xfce menu editor. =-O

--

Regards, TerryJ

Using Xfce on PCLinuxOS. www.revivalcentres.org