Viewports (Beryl) vs. Workspaces (Xfce Taskbar)

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at xfce.org
Tue Jan 16 08:56:33 CET 2007

2007/1/16, Philipp Robbel <robbel at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
>
> Apologies if that has been covered before: I have been using Beryl for
> the past days and what has been bothering me is that Beryl's viewports
> (e.g. sides on the cube) don't translate into workspaces in the Xfce
> 4.2.3 taskbar. In particular, the default setup removes all but one
> workspace from the taskbar and divides up that single workspace into
> four "tiles" (Beryl viewports). It's not really usable and it would be
> much nicer if there would still be four workspaces in the taskbar that
> each correspond to a side of the cube.

The support for viewports has never been tested, since Xfce doesn't
use them, so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some problems with
it.

That said, as far as I know viewports are meant to be exactly like you
describe, dividing up a large workspace into more pieces. Beryl's use
of viewports to simulate workspaces is understandable from their point
of view, but a pager needs to have a special 'beryl-mode' to know
this.

> Is that maybe working in the upcoming Xfce 4.4?

No, it's not.

--
        Jasper