External device mounted from the Desktop become unmounted?

Andrew Robinson andrew.rw.robinson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 23:58:35 CET 2007

When I got back the device was no longer in the mount table, so yes,
it was unmounted, but I never unmounted it which is odd. It is almost
as if it timed out. I will let you know if it happens again, but in
the meantime, how do I get rid of the desktop icon without restarting
X (and have it recognize the drive when I put it back in through the
"auto mount" desktop feature)?